Friday, June 13, 2008

The Happening

Seen Yesterday.

All I knew about this movie - which was nearly non-advertised - was that some strange power forces people to act very strange and kill themselves.

It's not too bad but definitely not a must-see. I guess some will say the movie is fantastic others will say it's a piece of crap.
I would say partly both are right.

The idea of nature's payback - by emitting toxicities which attack human's neural system, turns off our instinct of self-preservation and forces us into suicide - is not bad.

But the way it is pictured is a bit ridiculous. Of course it's claer that the plants would need wind to bring the toxicities into action, but that the wind is always coming up on small locations just to get groups of people (decreasing in amount) seems a bit over-the-top.
Well, wind is one of nature's mightiest powers and so the thought fits in the plot but wind is not such a precise instrument as pictured here.

The part about plants becoming poisonous is in my opinion very plausible. We know that plants can do that without any advance warning - for example when the population of animals in an area hits a dangerous amount for the plants, some grases become poisonous to preserve themselves. And plants are able to communicate by emitting several messenger substances.

Overall I don't regret having seen the movie but I wouldn't have missed it if I hadn't.

Website: The Happening
----------------
MC listened to: The Doors - People Are Strange
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

My World said...

What shall I say?
It was a good movie, not the best, not the worst.

But again, I expected more.

I expected a really mysterious and well elaborated horror story. That was not the case.

Probably if I had not have so much certain expectations, I would like the movie much more...

MC said...

They could have really made out more of it.
But it wasn't bad anyway.