Tuesday, September 25, 2007

'The Black Cat' by Edgar Allan Poe

When I still was in school we read 'The Tell-Tale Heart' and I loved it. I even had this topic for my final exam in English.
The language Poe uses is very picturing and full of metaphors.
There was only one other story by Poe I knew by now - 'The Raven' - and I knew it only by some adoptions on TV - like on The Simpsons for example, so I had to get some of his other stories. A few years ago I saw this book with 18 of his stories.
'The Black Cat' is the first story in this book.

The story is about a man haunted by a cat which was once his best friend but was murdered by the man later. It's content is cruel and the conveyed feelings are very dark.

It is not as fascinating as 'The Tell-Tale Heart' because here are no metaphors used. But besides that it's very good!










Websites: Biography and Works & E.A.Poe Museum

No comments: